Scranton Road Legal Clinic Director
Scranton Rd. Ministries Community Development Corporation is a faith-based and vision-driven organization with an urban focus. Operating within a community that suffers from widespread poverty and crime, our vision is to revitalize our community, one life at a time.
Scranton Road Legal Clinic (SRLC) is a legal services program, serving 400+ families each year with brief legal advice and community legal education workshops, empowering them to make educated, informed legal decisions.
The primary responsibilities of the Legal Clinic Director include:
1. To strategize, plan, direct, and implement an impactful and efficient legal services program. To maintain a participant database with consistent, accurate and up-to-date data entries; and to compile, measure and report key program metrics and data. To maintain a library of free legal resources and forms.
2. To coordinate event logistics and staffing for Brief Advice Days and Community Legal Education Workshops with partnering nonprofits. To supervise intake, legal research, and legal counsel for staff attorneys/paralegals, volunteers, interns, externs, and fellows. To assist with preparing community legal education publications, to update curriculum, and to conduct community legal education workshops as needed.
3. To provide brief legal advice to program participants in accessible language, including legal counseling, legal research, pro se coaching, assistance with forms/paperwork, and referral to low-cost or pro bono attorneys/social service organizations, both virtually and in-person.
4. To communicate positively and effectively with program participants while maintaining confidentiality and mutual respect, including both initial brief advice sessions and follow-up sessions, emails, and phone calls. To offer and engage in prayer and spiritual encouragement for program participants.
5. To expand and strengthen SRLC’s volunteer and referral network to include pro-bono and low-cost attorneys, social service organizations, nonprofits, etc.
6. To assist with grant research, writing, procurement, and reporting, and to assist with fundraising events.
7. To represent SRLC in a positive manner while interacting with public, colleagues, and youth and families. To attend and engage in meetings with relevant community initiatives. To demonstrate strong Christian character in representing the program with a commitment to Biblical truth and justice. To also demonstrate a passion for people and a heart for the city.
8. To participate fully as an employee of SRLC with all assigned duties and responsibilities, and to perform other assignments, as needed, under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer/Executive Director.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer/Executive Director
Time Commitment: Part Time (20-30 hrs/week)
Must maintain an active license to practice law in Ohio in good standing. J.D. Required. 2 years work experience in delivering legal services and brief advice, preferably in an urban and/or low- income community. Additional preferred competencies include: Familiarity with regional legal services and social services organizations, familiarity with Family Law, Landlord/Tenant Law, Debtor/Creditor law, Expungement/CQE, Elder/Probate Law. Basic computer skills (including Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database Construction and Entry, Desktop Publishing, Legal Research, and Internet Skills).
Must agree with our Statement of Faith. Must have a demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and respectfully to a diversity of clientele, conveying compassion and empathy to program participants. Must provide legal advice, counsel, pro-se coaching, and assistance with forms/paperwork. Must communicate legal terminology in accessible language. Leadership skills, resourcefulness, and innovative thinking are essential. Must have strong interpersonal skills, a demonstrated sensitivity toward individuals’ needs, and a commitment to productivity, integrity, and continuing education. Ability to communicate in Spanish is preferred but not required. A background check will be conducted for this position.
To Apply: Interested and qualified candidates may apply by submitting a Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com. Contact 216-861-5323 with questions.