Location: Colorado Springs, CO
The Role: Senior Director of Legal Services
Meet Young Life:
Young Life is a Christian ministry that reaches out to middle school, high school, and college students in all 50 of the United States and in more than 100 countries around the world.
About the Senior Director of Legal Services:
This position’s primary responsibilities will include establishing and maintaining appropriate legal structures for Young Life’s corporations around the world. Additionally, this position will be responsible for developing and reviewing contracts, considering how existing and new forms of legislation will impact the organization, investigating and responding to certain employment matters, overseeing the registration and management of Young Life’s intellectual property, overseeing matters involving general corporate litigation, and provide legal advice to Young Life’s leadership regarding various legal matters.
The Senior Director of Legal Services' Responsibilities Include:
- Evaluating and Establishing Corporate Legal Structures
- Evaluate the need for corporate legal structure for Young Life’s global ministry
- Determine the types of legal structures available to Young Life to facilitate secure ministry around the world.
- Consider what type of legal structure provides the best opportunity to employ religious workers, to own property, to exempt tax on revenue and property
- Determine whether employment contracts are needed and assist with developing them as necessary
- Work with the Vice President of International Finance to determine banking and finance requirements to facilitate donations, payroll, and annual audit issues
- Ensure that Young Life trademarks are acquired and secured
- Ensure that Young Life Domain Names are owned and used appropriately
- Oversee management of records and information relating to Young Life-controlled legal entities
- Oversee management of contract process and database. Contracts may include but are not limited to the following: hotel accommodations, website design, the performance of services, retail marketing, property rental, independent contractors, etc.
- Review and draft contracts on behalf of various divisions within the organization
- Review and prepare nondisclosure agreements for vendors utilized by staff. Those agreements may include but are not limited to the following: purchase, nondisclosure, settlement, etc.
- Oversee ownership of all Young Life trademarks, including trademark infringement. Manage trademark databases used to store information relating to trademark searches and certificates of ownership
- Oversee ownership of all Young Life copyrights, which may include copyright infringement. Work jointly with Young Life’s Mar/Comm’s Department to manage copyright databases which contain filings of all copyright applications
- Oversee ownership of all corporate-owned domain names, which may include challenges to domain infringement. Manage domain databases used to store information relating to domain searches and certificates of ownership
- Draft releases, waivers, and miscellaneous language
- Research laws for various governmental regulations impacting insurance, camping, etc
- Annual review of various laws for health regulations affecting camps
- Review OSHA regulations for updates relating to Young Life’s activities
- Review and understand state and federal laws relating to cyber liability concerns
Miscellaneous Legal Matters
- Provide general legal guidance on employment-related issues, including EEOC, ADA, ACA, retirement plans, etc
- Prepare annual legal update for the Board of Trustees summarizing various legal matters Young Life has been involved in over the previous year
- Investigate and respond to scams against Young Life (field staff and Service Center departments)
- Provide guidance on various other legal matters as they occur
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- Minimum of a Juris Doctor degree; preferred Colorado license to practice law
- Five years of previous corporate general counsel experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, and MS PowerPoint
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Process-oriented, but flexible to change or protocol of other departments serving
- Consistent follow-through, tenacity
- Willingness to learn; good research skills
- Diplomatic; good negotiation skills; willingness to hold others accountable to ministry policy and procedure while maintaining positive relationships with internal and external “customer”
- Working knowledge and understanding knowledge of contract language
- Good project management; ability to keep track of multiple tasks and customers
What It's Like to Live in Colorado Springs, CO:
(This position may qualify for remote work if mutually agreed upon).
Colorado Springs is, without a doubt, one of the most breathtaking cities in the nation. With beautiful weather and its majestic mountains, Colorado Springs is a gem of a city. From the modern appeal of new establishments to the city life downtown and the timeless roads of Old Colorado City, Colorado Springs offers much to those looking for a move. It provides many enjoyable neighborhoods that a new resident would love to call home.
Compared to other parts of the state, the housing in Colorado Springs tends to be more affordable, which is a huge draw to the many people that have chosen to live there. Additionally, it is only about an hour away from Denver, making it very convenient for those who prefer to live in Colorado Springs and commute to work every day.
Above all else, the city's quality of life is probably one of the most significant aspects of living here. Because of great weather year-round, people can be outside frequently and enjoy all of the activities that come with that, such as bicycling, running, and hiking. These are popular forms of exercise here in Colorado Springs, and it keeps residents both happy and healthy. Colorado Springs is also commonly listed as one of the cities with the cleanest air, and the residents would heartily agree. Overall, this city is well-rounded, happy, and healthy, and with the great weather, high quality of life, and affordable housing, what’s not to love?
Job posted 11/5/2022