Summer Fellowship for Law Students
“The Americans United for Life Summer Fellowship for Law Students represents a great opportunity to learn and serve with a top-notch public-interest law firm. AUL’s reputation is unmatched for high quality legal work aimed at making every child welcome in life and protected in law.” —Mary Ann Glendon, Learned Hand Professor of Law, Harvard University
Every summer, law students from across the country apply for a limited number of openings in the Americans United for Life Summer Fellowship for Law Students. Law students with an interest in pro-life law come to the Washington D.C. metro area for a summer internship that is unparalleled.
AUL accepts first- and second-year students for up to eight weeks each summer at AUL’s Washington, DC office. Mentored by an AUL attorney, each fellow is tasked with a special legal project. During their summer, they also meet regularly with AUL staff in conjunction with their work.
Qualifications for acceptance into AUL’s Summer Fellowship for Law Students include a firm commitment to life issues and demonstrated excellence both inside and outside the classroom. Additionally, we look for individuals who stand out to the faculty of their school. The fellowship program will:
- Actively employ Fellows’ talents to advance AUL’s lifesaving work
- Give Fellows a solid foundation of legal experience to build on
- Introduce fellows to pro-life leaders, both within AUL and at other organizations in the pro-life movement
Summer Fellowship for Law Students Application Information
- Who: Top law students with a commitment to protecting human life
- When: 8 weeks during 1L or 2L summer; split summers accepted
- Where: AUL’s Washington, DC office
- To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references from faculty and/or lawyers by email to fellows@AUL.org
- All applications must be received by April 1st, and earlier applications are encouraged
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Summer Fellowship for Law Students Testimonials
“Thank you for an amazing summer. I was truly blessed to work with such wonderful individuals in the heart of the pro-life movement! Thank you for your guidance, fellowship, and optimism. This was an unforgettable summer.” —Carolyn McDonnell, University of St. Thomas School of Law
“My summer with Americans United for Life affirmed my desire to close the judicial holes draining the dignity of human life. An internship with AUL traverses far beyond discussion of Roe in law school; it ignites opportunities for any student who wants to commit to advocate for the sanctity of life, both personally and professionally. Under the guidance of the entire AUL team, I studied the false legal premises cast by those promoting abortion, assisted suicide, and other bioethical issues. I am forever grateful to have learned and served at such an outstanding organization. —Eric Abels, The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law
“I have learned so much! The training was invaluable and working with Clarke Forsythe was fantastic. Thank you so much for making us part of the team, working with us, and training us in the pro-life cause.” —Hugh C. Phillips, Liberty University School of Law
Job posted 9/5/2022