Expectations and Responsibilities
• Play a vital part in the exercise and expression of the organization’s Christian beliefs and in carrying out its mission.
• Based on James 5:13-16, every staff member must affirm the Ministry’s Statement of Faith and will be expected to participate and/or lead prayer with internal and external customers when appropriate. (Because this will take place during the workday, these opportunities are included in the calculation of hours worked).
• Take overall responsibility for designing, developing, and delivering the organization's legal strategy and services, ensuring full compliance and accountability.
• Render legal analysis and guidance on the organization’s policy and business activities, including compliance with laws in the geographic locations where the organization operates. This includes the legal aspects of employment, benefits, tax exempt status, and religious entity status.
• Represent the organization in external relations with members, vendors, the public, and others.
• Develop sufficient expertise in health care sharing to advocate for CCM and Medi-Share in legislative and regulatory affairs (government affairs). This activity would be in collaboration with the VP of Government Affairs.
• Serve as a resource and consultant to executive level leaders, rendering analysis and guidance in the areas of employee relations, separations, benefits, and wage and hour regulations (may have reporting requirement to Chairman of the Board of Directors for certain matters)
• Give accurate and timely counsel to executives on a variety of legal topics (labor law, partnerships, new ventures, new program offerings, legislation).
• Manage pending and active litigation.
• Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
• Research and evaluate various risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
• Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
• For certain candidates with the right background, could even serve as a chief risk officer or co-manage that role with the CFO.
• Advise and/or oversee some or all of CCM’s insurance coverages and terms.
• Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, government authorities), creating relationships of trust.
• Draft and solidify agreements, contracts, and other legal documents to ensure the organization’s full legal rights.
• Supervise the In House Counsel and support staff
• It is anticipated that Government Affairs leadership and staff could report to this position in the future as well for candidates with the appropriate background.
Functional Experience & Requirements
• Must be an actively involved, practicing and engaged member of a Christian/Evangelical church; must believe in, embrace and provide day-to-day leadership that mirrors the purpose, mission and core values of CCM.
• Juris Doctorate and license to practice law in Florida, or ability to obtain such license within 12 months of hire through examination or reciprocity required.
• 5-10 years as a corporate Legal/General Counsel for an insurance, financial services, healthcare, and/or nonprofit organization is required. Experience collaborating, interacting with and influencing a corporate or nonprofit Board of Directors, providing strategic legal counsel and leadership across multiple company functions is strongly preferred. Prior experience working with insurance regulators is also a plus. Total experience of legal counsel experience (not necessarily General Counsel) must be at least 15 years, 20+ years preferred.
• A humble yet confident servant leader…one that others trust and follow.
• Exceptional communication, written, presentation, interpersonal, organizational, prioritization, and time-management skills.
• Previous and successful experience with arbitration and mediation as chosen means of resolving conflicts.
• In-depth knowledge of nonprofit, corporate, and tax law procedures.
• Makes technical, legal and authoritative decisions with minimal input and supervision
• Successful experience in managing and developing a legal team
• Ability to communicate complex concepts in a simple, compelling, concise, and creative way
• Ability and authority to make clear, confident and sound decisions quickly
• Adaptable and flexible with confidence and energy to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment while handling multiple projects
• Strong business and financial acumen
• Willingness to travel as needed; this job may require occasional travel, expected to be less than 20%
To apply, please reach out to either
Ian Turnbell, Senior Recruiter
The Human Capital Group, Inc.
Steve Hayes, Sr. Managing Director
The Human Capital Group, Inc.