TITLE: Corporate Contract Review Paralegal
DEPARTMENT: General Counsel (GC)/Legal Services and Enterprise Risk Management
REPORTS TO: General Counsel/VP of Legal Services
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
GRADE: 7/Senior Manager
The Corporate Contract Review Paralegal of the Office of the General Counsel/Legal Services and Enterprise Risk Management reports directly to the General Counsel/VP of Legal Services. Primary responsibilities include managing the end-to-end contract process with all contracting stakeholders. He/She is a key contact for the stakeholders during the contract review and approval process.
The Senior Paralegal is responsible for management and oversight of the contract process and for providing critical insights for continuous improvement of the contract process/contract management system.
- Act as daily point person for all contract-related requests
- Review contract requests for completeness
- Understand proper usage of contract templates and NIPO’s, so as to be prepared to advise internal customers on preferred version for specific needs
- Partner with stakeholders to understand contract needs for new contract/renewals
- Drive, monitor and proactively follow up on the approval of contracts to assure they meet the requester’s timing requirements
- Analyze and revise contracts as needed, and for purposes of consistency, insert preferred ABS wording.
- Identify business and legal risks, documenting areas of potential conflicts—escalating issues to ABS in-house counsel, as appropriate
- Initiate and coordinate in-house counsel participation in complex contract drafting and review process on complex contracts
- Provide clear and well-articulated status updates to stakeholders
- Manage triage and resolution of issues with internal customers, acting as a liaison for escalations to counsel to maintain a high-level of customer satisfaction.
- Deliver friendly and prompt customer service, but is prepared to engage in negotiation and conciliation with internal customers where necessary
- Initiate and monitor the internal contract approval workflow
- Ensure all the open points related to the contract are reviewed/addressed by the appropriate stakeholders
- Periodically review existing ABS contract templates and make strategic updates and modifications to enhance work flow and effectiveness
- Coordinate with internal subject matter experts (e.g., human resources, finance, information technology, etc.) to request reviews and to obtain their input when necessary, if not automatically included within the formal contract management system.
- If so directed by in-house counsel, interact with external firms (e.g., law firms, real estate agencies, auditors, governmental agencies, etc.) when specialized contribution may be required.
- Be willing to interact with the other party when contract elements may need clarification.
- Send the final execution copy to the internal parties for signature when applicable
- Assist requester on any question related to contract management process,
- Collaborate closely with contract management team members across the organization for contract review, guidance and advice, etc. (i.e. CFO, Ministry Impact Managing Director of Operations, Ministry Advancement Director of Operations, etc.)
- Assist with developing contract system and process training materials and with delivering related training
- Administer contract database and maintain oversight of all contracts under review
- Provide notification to Finance of contract approval and ensure contracts are transmitted to the new ERP system, once implemented
- Ensure every finalized contract has a fully exeuted copy within the contract management system, following up with stakeholders, as may be needed
ESSENTIAL TRAITS/ EXPERIENCE:
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of the American Bible Society and its core values
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong team player, who is also able to work well independently
- High energy and enthusiastic with a strong focus on excellent customer service
- Skilled in reconciling differing viewpoints
- Calm and objective when interacting with demanding, imperfect internal customers and external parties, when receiving and addressing complaints
- Proactive in tracking and motivating others to review contracts and respond to questions
- Experienced in understanding and analyzing contracts and business, and legal terms and conditions
- Able to review and identify critical risks in contracts and know when to escalate as needed
- Diligent and attentive to details.
- Able to use independent judgement and creativity to resolve disparate issues
- Strong negotiation skills
- Must be able to effectively interact with business leadership
- Strong organization skills and follow through
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- College degree required
- Paralegal certification and/or Legal Research Certificate a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel, Word, SharePoint
- Demonstrated knowledge of, or familiarity with, contract management system software (e.g., Agiloft, Ironclad) a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of, or familiarity with, NetSuite enterprise resource planning (i.e., ERP) system a plus
- Understanding and experience with technology/privacy issues (e.g., state laws, GDPR)
- Familiarity with, and understanding of, tech related items such as SOC2 and cybersecurity insurance a plus
- Project management training a plus
- 5+ years of related experiences Acceptable if law school graduate or open to future law career
- Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Qualified candidates should apply at (Insert link to job posting)
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position but will contact only those to whom we offer an interview.
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford so all people may experience its life-changing message.
Job posted: 8/15/2022