Litigation Attorney – Civil and Family Law
Steven Krieger Law, PLLC is a small civil litigation law firm (7-10 people) seeking an experienced associate or senior associate to assist the firm’s family and civil litigation practice. On the family law side, the firm currently handles: custody, visitation, support, protective orders, and divorce cases in JDR and Circuit Court as appropriate. On the civil litigation side, the firm currently handles: business litigation, consumer protection, defamation, landlord/tenant, estate planning, and general contract and civil litigation disputes.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who already possesses the baseline and requisite family law and/or civil litigation experience (at least 3 years of post-law school experience, but the position could be scaled up for an individual with significantly more experience), but is looking for an opportunity to have more control over the litigation strategy and client relations. The ideal applicant will have the following attributes:
- Ability to litigate a family and/or civil law matter from start to finish with actual courtroom experience in Virginia state courts
- Ability to draft the necessary documents related to the family and/or civil law matter, conduct the appropriate discovery, assist the client in weighing settlement options, and litigate the trial
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- A commitment to providing high quality legal assistance regardless of client income
- A comfort working collaboratively, but also self-disciplined, self-motivated, and experienced enough to work independently without significant oversight (though regular communication with supervisor is expected)
- Strong communication skills, including ability to clearly communicate with clients of various levels of sophistication regarding technical matters
- 3 to 5 years of litigation experience in Virginia state courts, less experience may be sufficient depending on the quality of the candidate's experience, and the position could be scaled up for more experienced applicants
Additionally, the following attributes are preferred in an ideal candidate
- Experience litigating in D.C.
- Ability to speak with clients in Spanish
- Enjoys writing on legal subjects outside of the documents related to litigation (like blog posts)
Compensation package and work schedule are negotiable depending on the specific applicant.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter describing your relevant experience and why you are interested in the position to: email@example.com. All applications will be kept confidential. The start date is flexible, but position is currently open.
Job posted: 8/15/2022