About the Trial Counsel/Litigation Attorney Opening
The Upper Midwest Law Center (UMLC) is seeking a litigation attorney to join us in our suburban Minneapolis, MN office. UMLC needs someone who can take on multiple cases, manage their docket, write pleadings and briefs, and argue cases. UMLC wants to put your experience and drive to use to help more people in Minnesota harmed by government overreach and failures, public sector union abuse, deprivations of First Amendment speech, religious liberty, and other U.S. and state constitutional rights, and more. This job will be intellectually challenging and rewarding. You would work with and under the direction of the President/General Counsel and Senior Trial Attorney.
The new hire can work from home multiple days a week. Upper Midwest Law Center is a very flexible work environment.
About the Upper Midwest Law Center:
Founded in 2019 by Doug Seaton, a long-time Minnesota labor and employment attorney, Upper Midwest Law Center initiates pro-freedom litigation to protect against government overreach, special interest agendas, Constitutional violations, and public union corruption and abuses. Recent cases have opposed required training on Critical Race Theory and gender identity ideologies, alleged that the city of Minneapolis failed to employ an adequate police force, and argued that Minnesota’s COVID shutdowns were unconstitutional. UMLC is engaged in a broad array of cases, which you can find out more about in the Lawsuits and Blog website pages at www.umlc.org.
Make a difference in Minnesota. Join the Upper Midwest Law Center’s litigation team.
- Conduct research and interview clients and witnesses;
- Draft pleadings, including complaints, petitions, and so on;
- Prepare and respond to written discovery and conduct and defend depositions;
- Draft motion papers and briefs in both state and federal trial and appellate courts;
- Argue hearings before both state and federal trial and appellate courts;
- Interact with media regarding cases and issues;
- Manage your own calendar and file documents with all applicable courts;
- Work with law clerks and staff in management of workloads and cases.
Education and/or experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D.;
- Either licensed to practice law in Minnesota or able to join the Minnesota bar by motion based on experience or MBA/UBE score (see Rule 7 at https://www.ble.mn.gov/rules/);
- 4-6 years of litigation experience preferred, but we will consider otherwise qualified candidates with less experience.
Pay and benefits:
- Flexible work environment with availability of partial remote work;
- Salary competitive with federal clerkship salary, depending on experience;
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for attorney and family;
- 401(k) plan with employer-paid match;
- Life insurance;
- Other benefits including HSA employer contributions and paid time off as desired, consistent with work responsibilities.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your interest in the Upper Midwest Law Center’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Job posted 4/26/22