As a Corporate Attorney at Brotherhood Mutual, you will collaborate with employees from across the company to approve contracts, close corporate transactions, and complete other legal projects that benefit internal and external stakeholders. You will identify opportunities to initiate or improve processes that optimize company operations. You may also be asked to provide risk management guidance to agents and current or prospective policyholders through our distinctive service for ministries, Legal Assist. We count on our attorneys to provide key legal analysis and insight to advance our company's mission and help us serve our policyholders well. If you possess strong writing, analytic, and communication skills and find value in serving those who serve others, this position may be a great fit for you.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Effectively and efficiently undertake routine to challenging document analysis and contract drafting.
- Effectively and efficiently undertake routine to challenging regulatory research and compliance analysis.
- Effectively and efficiently undertake routine to challenging legal risk management analysis and drafting, as well as other legal projects as assigned, for the benefit of external contacts, Brotherhood employees, managers, and department staff members.
- Effectively and efficiently undertake routine to challenging insurance coverage analysis and insurance policy drafting.
- Effectively contributes to the enhancement of Company and departmental processes and procedures.
- Promptly respond to LegalAssistance inquiries as assigned.
- Promptly respond to other agent, policyholder, and regulator inquiries as assigned.
- Research, analyze, and apply policy language, statutes, common law, and other applicable legal concepts in order to effectively accomplish challenging legal projects.
- Advise company personnel on routine to challenging legal issues, and communicates legal information to external customers as assigned.
- Organize, lead, participate in, and/or provide input at meetings involving collective decision-making, and contributing as requested to departmental or interdepartmental processes.
- Provide timely status reports concerning assigned legal projects to legal department management and to others as appropriate.
- Coordinate company and department teams and projects as assigned.
- Complete other projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have excellent analytical and legal drafting skills.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with others (both orally and in writing).
- Must possess knowledge relating to tort, contract, corporate, and insurance law. Must possess general knowledge of insurance company products and operations.
- Must be able to conduct effective legal research.
- Must have strong interpersonal and negotiation skills. Must have the ability to handle confrontational situations in a productive manner.
- Must be able to make independent decisions and follow directions.
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to effectively prioritize tasks and manage deadlines.
- Must be able to focus on assigned tasks for prolonged periods of time.
- Effectively interface with external contacts, Brotherhood employees, managers, and department staff members.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree and a JD degree are required.
- Successful completion of at least four (4) parts of the CPCU designation is strongly desired.
- Must have at least two years of experience as an attorney.
- Other insurance-related course work and studies involving technical legal writing are desired.
- Prior experience in insurance law, risk management, contract drafting, corporate law, or other legal document preparation is desired.
Terms and Conditions
This description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Because the company’s niche is the church and related ministries market, and because effective service requires a thorough understanding of this market, persons in this position must be familiar with church operations and must conduct themselves in a manner that will neither alienate nor offend persons within this target niche.
Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this position description in any way the company desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This position description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at-will”.